For such a small and simple device, electric cigarettes get a great deal of attention. Unfortunately, much of the attention is negative.
News about e-cigs, whether positive or negative, seems to pop-up daily. Some of the news explores different legislative and regulatory activity (…some good, some bad), while other news discusses research and social studies.
With such an interconnected world, it’s easy to see how different opinions about a given topic can get out there.
Here’s a taste of some of the top e-cig quotes found in the article Quotes from the Experts: a selection of quotes from the world’s most renowned experts in public health and tobacco issues.
- “E-cigarettes deliver the same nicotine found in the pharmaceutical products, with no more contamination by toxic substances than the pharmaceutical products already approved by FDA.” By Dr. Joel Nitzkin, Chair, Tobacco Control Task Force, American Association of Public Health Physicians.
- “They [people who use electronic cigarettes] are not going to die from an e-cigarette – but they could die tomorrow from a heart attack due to their smoking. Switching to e-cigarettes with nicotine continued, can be expected to reduce lung cancer risk the same as altogether quitting cigarettes without e-cigarettes.” By Dr. Murray Laugesen, Health, New Zealand.
- E-Cigarettes are, “exactly what the tobacco companies have been afraid of all these years” – a tobacco-free cigarette alternative. By J. Kline/Prof David Sweanor, JD.
- “Smokers smoke because they are addicted to nicotine in cigarettes, but it is the smoke, not the nicotine, which causes a long list of diseases, including lung cancer, heart disease, stroke and emphysema.” By Dr. Richard Daines, New York State Health Commissioner
- “THR has been described as having “the potential to lead to one of the greatest public health breakthroughs in human history by fundamentally changing the forecast of a billion cigarette-caused deaths this century.” By Prof Brad Rodu, The Scientific Foundation for Tobacco Harm Reduction
- “Electronic cigarettes may prove to be the most promising solution for the reduction in the use of traditional cigarettes and their associated risk, with the positive features of these products clearly outweighing the negative features.” By Caponnetto P, Campagna D, Papale G, Russo C, Polosa R., The Emerging Phenomenon of Electronic Cigarettes, Expert Reviews in Respiratory Medicine.
- “To adapt an analogy first made by Jacob Sullum, the anti-smoking ideologues would advise victims of a shipwreck not to use the lifeboats because they haven’t been fully tested to ensure their safety. And if thousands of victims of that shipwreck were successfully keeping afloat because of the lifeboats, the anti-smoking ideologues would advise them to abandon the lifeboats and stick to ‘government approved’ survival methods [i.e. swimming].” By Dr. Michael Siegel, The Rest of the Story: Tobacco News Analysis and Commentary
- “If you’re one of the millions of people out there addicted to smoking, there may finally be some hope for you – the electronic cigarette. It gives you nicotine but it doesn’t give you any of the other 4000 chemicals that can cause cancer among other problems.” By Dr. Travis Stork, “The Doctors”.
- “Three months of additional smoking poses a greater risk to someone’s health, on average, than a lifetime of using a low-risk alternative.” By Prof. Carl Phillips
- “They’re going to have to beat me over the head to say it’s anywhere near as dangerous as cigarettes….” By Dr. Dean Edell, transcribed from radio, The Dr. Dean Edell Show.
We’ll let these quotes speak for themselves. Electric cigarettes can serve as an alternativeto traditional smoking. If you’re looking for a good alternative, we invite you to check out our line of high-quality electric cigarettes here.