This latest story, as reported by Yahoo! News, details the mishap that occurred when a vapor device exploded, causing severe second-degree burns on the face of a 16-year-old teen, from Alberta, Canada.
The latest headlines scream foul on the e-cigarette industry. “Those dangerous gadgets that teens are messing with.” “Marketed to children, now their lives are in danger.” “Researchers are uncovering the dark truth that lies ahead for teens that use these explosive devices”… Ah, why is there always such a lack of facts in regards to the e-cigarette/ vapor products industry instead of unbiased evidence-based reality?
However, if you are a thinking, intelligent human, you may be able to read between the lines of the exaggerated content here. No, I’m not saying this child’s (yes, he is a CHILD, a 16-year-old minor) injuries are exaggerated; we wish Ty Greer the absolute quickest recovery from such a traumatic situation, which was most likely extremely scary and the last thing he expected as he was merrily vaping in his car prior to the incident. However, what he was doing with such a device is purely irresponsible on account of his parents/ guardians, as well as himself for messing with things he had no business messing with.
He was using a device known as a Wotofo Phantom, a device clearly designed for those who have a lot of experience in DIY vape building. Mech mods are not for beginners whatsoever. These devices, as anyone will tell you, as manufacturers will blatantly specify, and as retailers will make very clear to those trying to purchase them, are not for the inexperienced. These devices are very easy to use incorrectly, especially if e-cigarette batteries are not used correctly, or if the wrong type is used, and if chances are taken, explosions can happen. Another aspect to keep in mind is lithium ion battery temperature safety; it has to be a conscious thought of all e-cigarette/ vaporizer/ mech mod users. Ty Greer, unfortunately, learned the hard way.
Like firearms, fireworks, cars, knives, and prescription drugs, when used incorrectly, results can be dangerous and fatal. Blaming a product because a child misused it, is plain old ignorance on the part of the media, Greer’s parents, as well as anyone else who refuses to see that this situation most likely could have been prevented if proper care was taken.